I've been researching online for months now in preparation for my first brew but there are still questions to which I can find no answers.
- Is yeast either dead or alive, i.e. works 100% or not at all, or can it deteriorate to a point in between? And is there a way to test its effectiveness before pitching?
- How trustworthy are the unbranded little sachets that come with a single can kit? Would I be better using a brand of recognised quality?
- Any advantage to 'starting' it with water and sugar before pitching?
- Is it a good idea to add extra yeast to a kit brew as an insurance, or is too much as bad as not enough?
- Do I need to add more yeast than comes with the kit if I add extra fermentables above the instructions? (for a higher ABV)
- Does anyone add yeast nutrient to kit brews?