9

"Milton Sterilising Fluid allows you to sterilise in just 15 minutes, killing bacteria, viruses, fungi and spores (tough dormant bacteria). It has been used in hospitals for many years as a simple and very reliable method." Wow. Sounds way stronger than needed for brewing! I wonder whats in it? "Milton Fluid is made of an aqueous solution of sodium ...


9

Just use water. The evaporating liquid does not need to be a sanitizer, per se.


9

It should work fine for sanitation, as long as the bottles have been cleaned in advance. If you were planning on using some star-san later though, why bother with the boiling water (or even the bleach in previous runs)? There really is no reason to sanitize twice like that. Clean the bottles well and let them sit until ready to use. Before bottling dunk ...


8

According to this page, which was linked to recently on Basic Brewing Radio's facebook page, you can make no-rinse sanitizer with: bleach diluted to 80 ppm an equivalent amount of white vinegar to adjust the pH (mixed in after the bleach has been mixed into the water -- do not mix full-strength bleach and vinegar directly) This info is apparently backed up ...


7

Sorry, beer that tastes like chlorine doesn't get better. Been there, dumped that. Green beer flavors tend to be excessive amounts of the expected flavors (sweet, bitter, hop aroma, yeastyness) and sometimes cidery flavors (from oxygen exposure leading to acetaldehyde). These will reduce / go away with some aging.


7

Your brew is fine. If there's a problem it will be obvious when you taste it. Relax.


6

I've brewed for years without starsan. Bleach, as mentioned in the above link, is good for fermenters and bottles. Extra contact time (a few hours if possible) doesn't hurt. Keep away from metals, especially copper. Rinse away with boiled water. High concentrations are still my favorite for dissolving a mold colony in a hurry. Boiling: good for small items ...


6

How to Brew by John Palmer recommends soaking equipment for 20 minutes, and says that rinsing isn't absolutely necessary for the recommended concentration. The concentration he mentions is 1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water (4 ml per liter). I avoid bleach. I'm too worried about it introducing off flavors if it's not completely gone, and would ...


6

No. Use soap and water. Wash your hands for 20-30 seconds and make sure you wash your whole hand. I have no idea what dilution you would have to use to maintain efficacy or what dilution you would have to be below to not give yourself chemical burns.


5

So, I had a 1600ml starter for my lager and it took off aggressively. I had to put a blow-off tube on my flask. I let the tube drop into about 3 inches of star-San. When the starter was all done, I had a good quarter inch of yeasties in the star-San. I have read all over these forums that that yeast would be useless. It was soaking in the star-San for 3 days....


5

About Sodium Percarbonate (2 Na2CO3 + 3 H2O2) on wikipedia: Dissolved in water, it yields a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (which eventually decomposes to water and oxygen) and sodium carbonate ("soda ash")... The rate of decomposition increases with rising temperature (2 H2O2 → 2 H2O + O2). So 3oz of this sanitizer would yield less than 2oz of water and ...


4

Dump it. I can't find information about the active ingredients in Young's Sterilizer and Cleaner, but if it requires rinsing it's very likely a bromine or chlorine based cleaner. Bromine and chlorine are both poisonous in high concentrations, so you should not consume the beer.


4

VWP appears to be a sterilizer that requires a sanitary rinse after use. http://www.vwpcleanersteriliser.co.uk/faq.htm If 5ml of concentrated VWP powder went into 5 liters of wort, I would say it's not safe to consume and the yeast will be severly effected if not dead. The manufacturer doesn't specify what it's active ingredients are. So... I would dump ...


4

It will function fine as is. You just have a thick oxide layer there. If you want to restore, you can polish it using 0000 steel wool. Once to the polish you want passify the stainless steel by spraying with normal starsan mixture (or dip it) and let air dry.


4

Sodium percarbonate forms hydrogen peroxide which eventually breaks down into oxygen and water. 1a. I think you'd have to leave a lot in. Apparently hydrogen peroxide is used as an antiseptic mouthwash so it must be acceptable to ingest a small amount. 1b. I've read that not rinsing "oxy" type cleaners means oxygen can be created in beer, which can result ...


4

No. Not because they might not be effective, but because they are not made with your skin in mind. Their pH values, either acid or alkaline, are not compatible with your skin, and products for personal hygiene will also contain product to care for your skin, even alcoholic hand sanitiser. Use a real soap and scrub well.


3

I can't think of any way One Step could have caused that. I have used it and similar products many times without problems.


3

Turbo yeast is faster than beer yeast, so no bacteriae have much chances to proliferate. Even if there is a bacterial or wild yeast infection no one cares, as that fermented stuff is distilled. For that matter, whisky distillers don't sterilize their wort before fermenting it, and some level of bacterial infection is considered necessary for the traditional ...


3

I have never worked with VWP. But it appears to be a chlorine based agent. Chlorine based agents lose their potency quickly after dilution (regardless of solution clarity or pH). In general, there is no added advantage to keep your brewing hardware in a solution until the next brew cycle. I'd recommend making a fresh solution each brew day. If you haven'...


3

Star San will not kill wild yeast. I rotate the use of StarSan and iodophor, since iodophor kills wild yeast. Here's the reply I got from a chemist when I asked about it... Broad-spectrum Germicides. The term “Broad Spectrum” when applied to a sanitizer means that it will attack a wide variety of different types of microorganisms, including gram-positive ...


3

That's nasty stuff. Handle with gloves! Paracetic Acid comes in several concentrations if you have the 5% Paracetic Acid solution then you should shoot for 1% of the solution in your volume of water. So 1L would need 10ml of parasafe and then scale up or down from there. Honestly I'd skip it, and make your own sanitizer. In a pinch where I'm out of starsan ...


3

Keep in mind that you don't actually have to submerge things in StarSan for it to be effective. You can mix it in a spray bottle with distilled water. It will stay good for months at least...a year isn't out if the question. Then you can spray things rather than submersing them in a bucketful. A 30 second contact time is 99.5% effective according to ...


3

Star San is not a cleaner, only a sanitizer. But boy is it a great sanitizer; well worth the price. 30 second contact time, foams readily, no-rinse, breaks down to yeast nutrient. Only thing I'll use or recommend. (Hint: mix it with distilled water, and it'll last "indefinitely"; that sure helps the cost go down. :)


3

I would suggest the iodine-based sanitizer knows as "Iodophor" if you really feel the need to sanitize the water: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodophor This stuff is an iodine-based sanitizer, fairly common in homebrewing (but probably not as common as Star San). I started out my homebrewing career with it, and still have some left. A big bottle goes a ...


3

Will this small amount of iodophor liquid affect taste? Not if it was properly diluted Should I rinse with hot water before using? Arguably, your materials will be less sanitized if you do. If you really want to rinse, use pre-boiled water. The best option is to properly dilute your sanitizer and don't rinse. With Iodophor Its major advantage over ...


3

If found this interesting FAQ in the link EZ provided: I forgot to rinse out the equipment. Will my beer/wine be OK? All equipment should be rinsed before use. Anything left in a fermenting vessel will affect the taste. Any active bacteria feft may kill the yeast. So, they don't mention that is poisonous, but the taste and yeast may be affected. Two ...


3

Drink it. At least do not discard a brew before completion and without subsequent taste testing. A few drops of made up VPW solution in a 25 ltr batch "is nothing to really worry about". I doubt it would affect the yeast activity if sufficient active yeast is pitched. The active chlorinating agent in VPW has been used to sterilise water containing ...


3

Time for a good sterilizing. Break all your equipment down that comes in contact with cooled wort, and use a sterilizing cleaner or boil the parts if they can handle the temperature. Dismantle all valves. (even on hot kettles) Remove fittings from lines. Use line brushes on all lines. Dismantle bottling wand. If you use a plate or counter flow chiller, ...


3

An interesting question. 1- metabisulphite is usually regarded as an oxygen scavenger and thus a preservative by virtue of inhibiting bacterial (and yeast) growth (but not so much the metabolism). Metabisulphite in solution can also be a source of SO2 - which reacts in water to make an acid solution. That acidic solution could be regarded as acting ...


2

I use gin as it is fine to drink if you accidentally suck it back through the airlock.


Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible