5

You may be interested in Wood Toxicity and Allergen Chart presented at The Wood Database. With very important warning: Just because any given wood is not listed on the chart, does not mean that it is completely safe to use. It simply means that adverse reactions have not been reported as of yet. That said, there is over 200 kinds of wood in this one ...


4

It will be absolutely fine. Drink and enjoy. By dropping into the fridge so early you just caused the yeast to stop their work. By removing it and allowing it to warm you have restarted the fermentation. You could happily leave it out of the fridge for a few months and so long as the bottles can handle the pressure that could build you would have no issues. ...


3

I have tried this myself, using DME that had been stored cool, dry and in airtight barrier packaging, but was three years past its BBE date. The beer tasted weird, but I feel fine. However, it is possible for molds to get into old DME which could potentially be harmful since some molds are toxic, so it depends on what has managed to get into it while it was ...


3

Over the weekend I kept thinking about this and I have done a bit more digging and found this article from bear-flavored.com, in which they speak about brewing with 4 different woods and discovered this company Black Swan Cooperage who make barrels and aging additions out of 8 different woods listed below: Cherry - Butter brickle, ripe cherry, fresh grass, ...


2

Post mashing you've actually removed much of the nutritional portion of it and put that stuff in your wort. The primary component left then is all that fiber. Even using the unmashed malt for the normal human diet, its a very high fiber to nutrient ratio. You can eat it but it is a lot of fibrous material to digest. Thoroughly cooking it will soften the ...


2

You don't want to eat the husk. You can, but it's about like eating a wood toothpick. But we need husks in the mash as they work as the filter for lautering. As for using a spent grain. After a mash you will spead it out very thin to dry, turning it often. Puting it on a screen with a fan below helps speed up the drying process. Wet spent grain can "spoil" ...


2

I would stick to the wood chips that are available from your homebrew supplier. There is a large selection available. One may be temped to cut up an old liquor barrel or cubing a known safe species of wood. But care needs to be taken not to contaminate the wood with the cutting tool, saws have coatings and oils etc. The chips made for brewing have been ...


2

Alcohol and the natural pH drop (acidity) from the fermentation process will kill any viruses. You cannot get sick from your beer... unless you drink way too much at one time, which is a different problem!


2

Since it should always be boiled, I don't see why it could not be used. Those bits of protein and fat might decompose, but these will not form harmful compounds. Take your time to dissolve in hot, but not boiling water. To improve the taste, you could steep some crushed light fresh caramel/crystal malt and add it to the obtained wort.


1

Probably - but I wouldn't Material Type: Plastic This is not very informative, and i couldn't find any details. If there is a food safe symbol on it, it shouldn't introduce any toxins to your food in realistically expected use cases. Including common accidents like unintentional boil of your mash. And there is no real difference between accidental or ...


1

What you're describing is called a colony of cells called a pellicle. According to Home Brew Talk's wiki: A pellicle is a lumpy, slimy white film that is formed by some strains of wild yeast, notably brettanomyces, during fermentation. A film on your beer in the fermenter or the bottle almost always indicates an infection, unless you have ...


1

Yes, +1 on white spots being mold. You can dump the batch and wash the SCOBY in white vinegar to try to save it (but it's better to just dump it). FWIW, mold is caused by 2 things, but basically it's not getting your pH low enough fast enough: Not enough sugar Not enough starter / too high a pH If you want less sugar in your kombucha, let it brew longer, ...


1

I leave mine in the shed for weeks and it can get very cold and then the temperature goes back up. Its fine once your bottles were very clean before bottling. Any type of mold is what you need to avoid in the brewing process. If you were making elderflower champagne you'd be leaving it for 2-3 months, so what you are doing should be fine since the process is ...


Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible