What are the pros and cons of a conical fermentor compared to buckets or carboys?
Assuming you're talking about a stainless steel conical, off the top of my head...
- Technically easier to collect and harvest yeast
- Can be more hygenic (less chance of scratches that can harbour yeast/bacteria)
- Less fragile than glass carboy (but possibly more than buckets)
- If it's pressure rated, you can cap it towards end of fermentation for natural carbonation
- Looks fancier
- Can dump trub and cold break prior to pitching
- If not jacketed and in a warmer climate, need a bigger fridge to house in for temp control
- Presumably heavier, so not as easy to move around for cleaning, etc