My 32 qt. aluminum stock pot was just delivered that I was planning to use this weekend. Taking it out of the box and inspecting it, there is a fairly sizable chip on the inside about 3/4 of the way down. The chip is about 1/4 in x 3/8 in. and is chipped deep enough to expose the inner material of the pot. I was planning on using this for my batch sparge water. Do you think it is safe to use? My gut is telling me to send it back, but if I do that I won't be able to brew this weekend. What could be some of the potential negatives from using it as is?

Winware Professional Weight Aluminum Stock Pot enter image description here

  • Are you sure you don't mean an enamel pot?
    – Denny Conn
    May 26, 2011 at 21:00
  • I am sure. It is a Winware Professional Weight Aluminum Stock pot. It is not enamel coated, just plain aluminum. Is that bad?
    – nuttzman
    May 26, 2011 at 22:48
  • Added link to question for clarity.
    – nuttzman
    May 26, 2011 at 22:58
  • Wouldn't the "inside" material be aluminum too? What's the problem? I wouldn't keep the chipped pot, but its still aluminum.
    – brewchez
    May 27, 2011 at 15:08

2 Answers 2


A chipped aluminum pot will function, but if I just bought it and haven't used it yet I would definitely return it and demand that Amazon pay the shipping.

In the mean time, look into Sam's Club if you know someone with a membership, I got a 24 quart for $30 there.

  • I already initiated the return. I do have a sams club membership! Will def check that out.
    – nuttzman
    May 27, 2011 at 14:22

A chipped aluminum pot will function the same as a non-chipped aluminum pot. Be sure to keep it as clean as possible. Since you are boiling whatever touches the chip, it really won't matter a whole lot. Return it if you are super worried about it. Better yet, get a stainless steel pot.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.