I need a pump to use for transferring wort from a 55 gallon drum. Do you have any recommendations?

  • Off-topic, vote to close. – theraccoonbrew Feb 15 '11 at 16:03
  • @theraccoonbrew would you feel differently if it was wort instead of sap? either can be used as a substrate for ethanol production. – David LeBauer Feb 15 '11 at 16:16
  • I suppose, though I'm apparently unable to rescind a vote to close. I assumed you were making syrup and the quantities you describe certainly sounded beyond typical "home" brewing. – theraccoonbrew Feb 15 '11 at 17:22
  • @theraccoonbrew indeed, some will be used for wort, some for syrup, and the large scale is a consequence of available resources. I have taken off the flow rate requirement though. Still, I expect that it will take as much as 200 gal of sap to make 20 gal of wort. – David LeBauer Feb 15 '11 at 17:59

I know several brewers who use a pump made by March. You can find them at many of the larger homebrew shops.


The March 809HS is the standard.


For wort you can use any centrifugal pump.

Following are some important points while selecting a pump:
1. Internal for pump should be of stainless steel.
2. Inlet and outlet should be of stainless steel.
3. Use SMS union type end fitting.
4. Use EPDM/ PTFE gasket material.
5. As wort is hot liquid, it can create cavitation. So while searchingfor a pump, ask supplier to supply with low suction pressure capacity.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.