I am trying to make red wine for the first time, using grapes from my garden.
I rinsed the grapes, crushed them and poured them into a 15 l bucket, ending up with about 6 l of mash. I placed a lid with an airlock on it and left it at room temperature. Every day I would open the lid and mix the solids under again. Nothing other than crushed grapes was added – no yeasts, no other additives.
After a day of fermentation I started to notice a yeast-like smell – so far, so good.
Now, after a week of fermentation, I notice the mash has a strong smell of solvent (the kind used in some kinds of universal glue).
Is this normal? Or is it a sign that the yeast cultures are producing the wrong kinds of alcohol and my batch is ruined?