I'm still relatively new to brewing, but have made about 10 batches using malt extract kits + 1 kg of Coopers Brew Enhancer (instead of sugar).
So far all of the batches I've made have been around about 3.5% - 4.5%. At first I thought I might have been getting some stuck fermentations, but given all of the different extract kits I've tried come out to about the same percentage, I'm guessing that's just how it's meant to be using the ingredients I'm using.
Is there any way to scale these up slightly to about 5% ish without sacrificing too much in the way of taste? From reading around, it seems adding extra sugar will increase the alcohol but make it taste like rubbish, and just adding a whole can of extra malt extract will make it taste too sweet.
There's not too much in the way of home brew stores around here, so I'm pretty much limited to the home brew supplies I can pick up from the super markets. (Eg the extract kits, sugar, brew enhancer, corn syrup etc) so I'm not game to try to move to all grain brewing (which would have given complete control of the recipe + result)
I was thinking about maybe two batches, using 3 cans of extract between them but not sure of the effect that will have. I'm guessing if I only wanted to scale it up by about 1% I probably shouldn't be using all the 3rd can anyway....