I think I know why my F.G. is so high, but I would like to know what are my options to try and fix it and what are the pros and cons of each.
Below is my recipe and readings during mash.
the options I see
- leave it alone and drink it
- add amylese enzyme (uknown if my brew shop has it.)
- add Beano -- ( I have heard both good and bad)
- add unboiled wort, that still has the enzymes, probably not possible due to barely any room to add more liquid.
- Add sugar, to bring up ABV to what I expected. (7%-8%)
Mash time 1.5 hrs
Mash Temp unknown, lost my digital thermometer during my move, was using a meat thermometer. This is where I screwed up, I think I mashed way too high
est ABV ~4.5%
20Lbs 2 row
1lbs dark caramel malt (no lovibond)
1lbs chocolate malt
1lbs roasted barley
1lbs special B
2oz nugget 15% alpha
2 packets of WLP-002
Right now it tastes pretty good, but I want to evaluate my options before I commit to kegging/bottling it.
Yeast Viability: 1/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup of beer, still has yeast and will ferment simple sugars. did not take reading.
Beano: Used 1 full pill for 1/3 cup of beer -- 48hrs Only dropped .002,
Fast Ferment with wort only, only dropped 2 points. final reading 1.038
Doing more research, I have found Attenuation/fermentability drops like a rock at higher temperatures. So my fermentibility may only be around 44% according to my sources. Source