Yeast: Mangrove Jack's M44 - US West Coast
Yesterday I brewed an IPA recipe but had a couple of issues when it came to pitching the yeast.
The first was that I could not get the wort temperature below 23.9ºC (75F).
The second was that I cooled the re-hydrated yeast too far, to 19.1ºC (66F), as I expected to get the wort down to 21ºC-ish (70F). When I could not get the wort temperature any lower, after using the chiller for almost an hour, I decided to warm the yeast up slightly to 21-22ºC (70-72F) so I could pitch at a slightly higher than normal temperature. Mistakenly I warmed the yeast far too quick by placing the re-hydrated container of yeast in a saucepan of water on the hob. In the space of 10-15 seconds it warmed from 19.1ºC (66F) to 22.3ºC (72F).
At pitching the temps were:
Wort - 23.7ºC (75F)
Yeast - 22.3ºC (72F)
18 hours later the bucket appears to be doing nothing. The airlock is inactive and the lid is not even bulging slightly to indicate a build up of pressure. I have ordered another sachet of M44 yeast which will hopefully arrive tomorrow.
- Is the higher than optimum pitching temperature likely to delay the start of the primary fermentation?
- Will the temperature shock of quickly warming the yeast by 3.2ºC (5F) in 10-15 seconds have likely damaged the yeast?
- How long should I wait before determining whether I should pitch the additional yeast?
- If I pitch another sachet of yeast will there be any effects on the end flavour?