Cleaning up after brewing my first extract-based Belgian wit, with wort already cooled and in the carboy, and yeast pitched ... I discovered to my horror i'd forgotten to add the candi syrup to the boil!
The recipe called for 1 lb golden candi syrup for a 5 gallon batch, added near the end. I've got plenty of airspace in my 6 gallon carboy, and the package is sealed. OG is 1.056 (BrewTarget suggests it should have been up around 1.068).
Can i just pitch the candi syrup in? do i need to boil it with some water to sanitize it first?
EDIT: Thanks all for the suggestions! I wanted to be extra careful, so I:
- brought 4 c of water to a boil
- added 5 oz Pilsen DME (proportional to the original recipe) and boiled for 5 minutes
- turned off the heat, stirred in the candi syrup, and threw in a couple of Fuggles pellets for good measure
- put it all in an ice bath to bring the temp down quickly to ~70 degrees
- poured it into my carboy through my racking tube to avoid splashing, and stirred it up a bit.
It was already perking along well, so I expect there won't be any problems (but i'll report back if anything unusual results).
Results: perked along well for quite a long time. I sampled gravity today (after 3 weeks in primary) at 1.016, which is relatively close to the target FG. Taste seems fine (pre-carbonation). So i'm calling this experiment a success. Time to bottle!