1

5.25 g all grain HIGH gravity (1.106)DIPA brewed yesterday, pitched 2 rehydrated US 05 packets about after I cooled to 60 degrees F, then aerated with pump for 30 minutes. I’ve had lags before when rehydrating, but never this long. At 22 hours, wort temp was 66 degrees (ambient) but with no activity still. I hit it with more oxygen, and am just waiting. Just need someone to tell me everything will be fine...?

  • 2
    First question in these cases always is: which kind of fermenter are you using? And, why do you assume that there is no fermentation? – chthon Nov 25 '17 at 18:41
  • Apologies. Fast Ferment conical 7.5 g – ts_watson Nov 25 '17 at 18:41
  • Your pitch rate seems good considering the gravity and the volume of your brew. Are you sure that your fermenter does not leak somewhere? – chthon Nov 25 '17 at 18:46
  • Not 100% positive I guess. Last time I used it it worked great. I’m using a blowoff tube to a growler with sanitizer in it...could be some loss there I suppose. I could switch to an airlock, just defaulted to the blowoff expecting a pretty aggressive fermentation. There’s a ton of head space though so airlock should probably be ok regardless. – ts_watson Nov 25 '17 at 18:52
  • It's probably more difficult to see with this type of fermenter how the wort currently looks. Can you see if the border between beer and air on the inside of the fermenter is clean or dirty? If it is clean then there is indeed no fermentation. If it is dirty, then that would be a sure sign that there was kraüsen and that there is active fermentation. – chthon Nov 25 '17 at 20:26
2

That's a very high OG and pretty cool to start with.

Its actually about only 50% of the pitch it needed for that OG. Your growth phase will be longer, I would add two more packs of yeast and raise temp to 68° and hold it there.

But it should take off within the next 48 hours if nothing is done. But you may get some growth esters you done want.

  • Safe to add more packs now, which would be 36-48 hours into fermentation? – ts_watson Nov 25 '17 at 22:41
  • 1
    @ts_watson I would expect within 24 hours with the added pitch, if you get the temp up a couple degrees. – Evil Zymurgist Nov 25 '17 at 22:42
  • Update: it’s definitely taken off, started yesterday afternoon and quite active now. To be clear-adding another pack or two 2 at this point would NOT have a negative affect? I didn’t realize that was such an under pitch :( temp is now 68. – ts_watson Nov 26 '17 at 20:39
  • @ts_watson it's fine to add it now. Would be better sooner than later. – Evil Zymurgist Nov 26 '17 at 23:27
  • would one more round of oxygen be beneficial for the sake of pitch #2? Not quite 72 hours total from initial pitch, but less than 24 hours from second pitch – ts_watson Nov 27 '17 at 14:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.