I'm a novice home brewer who likes West Coast IPAs and the occasional double IPA. I also started growing hops in my backyard last year and I'd like to put together a beer using all 5 hops. I'd like to see a fully bodied IPA from smell to finish with a 6-8%ABV. Is this a reasonable recipe? I'm particularly interested in advice on the LME, grains and yeast choices, as well as hop order. Thanks.
- 6.6 lbs (2.9 kg) of light-colored American liquid malt extract(LME)
- 0.5 lb Crystal malt (20 °L)
- 0.5 lb Crystal malt (40L)
- CTZ whole hops (0.5 oz/14g at 14% alpha acids) (60 min.)
- Add remaining 3.3 lb of LME at 20 min.
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Cascade whole hops 5% alpha acids (15 min.)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Chinook whole hops 10%alpha acids (5 min.)
- 1 oz (28 g) Fuggle whole hops 5% alpha acids (0 min.)
- 1.5 oz (42 g) Centennial whole hops 10% alpha acids (dry)
- Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) yeast