I have a 1-wire sensor which has the design I need and a hardware for working with PT100/PT1000 sensors. Can I turn the 1-wire sensor into a PT100/PT1000 sensor easily?

Note: this question has been raised during planning an electrical HERMS.

2 Answers 2


you may want to ask this on the electronics stack exchange.

but to answer this here.

no, you cant replace a PT100 sensor, with a 1-wire temp sensor.

PT100/1000 are analog sensors, 1 wire sensors are digital.

as to convert a 1 wire, to an analog sensor, all depends on your knowledge of electronics, easy if you know a lot, hard if you dont know anything...

the way I would convert it would be to use a micro controller, like an msp430, to read the 1 wire, and then use pwm or a DAC Digital potentiometer to send the analog signal to your hardware.

  • Thanks, @jsolarski. AFAIU, PT100(0) sensors are simple, dump hardware while 1-wire adds significant logic to the sensor? Do you think there are chances that a 1-wire sensor could be reduced to PT100(0) by simply removing the logic piece? I've added a link to an image showing the sensor in question ... looks like you can screw off multiple parts ... so my naive thinking is whether I could simply screw off the 1-wire part?
    – mstrap
    Jun 8, 2016 at 7:51
  • no, it is still a digital temp sensor, it is one of these embedded into the probe. sparkfun.com/products/245 , so even if you screw parts off, the sensor is still digital. If your equipment requires PT100/0 then you may want to look at different hardware. or find a cheap sensor...... walmart.com/ip/… only $8.00 USD+S&H
    – jsolarski
    Jun 9, 2016 at 3:59

Sorry, the two are very different - to make a OneWire sensor look like a PT100 sensor, you'd have to find some way to recreate the resistance in the wire that varies with temperature, which is how a PT100 works. The simplest way to do that would be to use a real PT100 sensor - emulating a PT100 sensor would be much harder and most likely introduce more error than just using a PT100.

On the other hand, can you change your sensing hardware to accept a OneWire sensor? See brewpi.com for an example.

  • Thanks, @mdma. I think I have found a PT1000 sensor which has a similar design, so it can be mounted in a BSP 1/2 t-piece: aliexpress.com/item/… -- hopefully it will ship soon.
    – mstrap
    Jun 9, 2016 at 17:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.