5

I'm brewing my first batch with a brooklyn brew show all-gain kit. I skipped the airlock and left the blow-off tube in place in a pot of bleachy water. It's been there for the past two weeks.

Today, I go look at it to start bottling and I see mold growing on the water that the blow-off tube was plugged into! I guess the bleach evaporated..

Is the batch ruined?enter image description here

And to avoid this in the future, I suppose I should just re-up the bleach every so often?

9

It's not at all ruined. The airlock is working exactly as intended. Unless there is a growth of mold all the way up the blow-off tube and into the fermentor, you're fine.

It's not so much that the bleach evaporated as it was denatured by the copious blow-off material. You don't need to "re-up" on bleach (you really don't even need bleach) so much as discard that nasty-ass blow-off water after the ferment is far enough along that the blow-off tube is not really needed.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.