What is the difference between Trub and Lees?

I've only heard about lees in regards to wine, i.e. the leftovers in the bottle. Note, Wikipedia says Lees is not only leftover grape bits, but also dead yeast.

OTH, Trub is the leftovers after a homebrew boil. I've also heard the settled yeast after bottle conditioning called trub.

Could the bottle conditioning 'trub' also be called 'lees'? Is there a technical difference? Is there an etymological difference? (I realize that last question might be better fit for the ELL or English stacks, please advise)

1 Answer 1


Wiki says that trub is German for lees.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.