I wanted to try making my own soda this summer, and finally got around to it 10 days ago. Here's the thing. I didn't have/use any specialized equipment. I boiled water with sugar ~15 minutes, and combined it in 2-liter soda bottles with cool tapwater (dangerous?), flavor extracts and sucralose and let it get colder. Then added champagne yeast. Then stashed them in a dark cupboard. Today, I poured a little into a cup and it's fizzy and smells like it has a bit of alcohol, too.
But I know microbes can really mess things up and I just wanted to ask: Could the method I used be dangerous? Is there a risk of me having unintentionally grown a life-threatening bacteria, like the one that causes botulism? Thanks in advance.