I've been reading the How To Brew book, which is generally good, but the author uses the term "knockout" without definition a couple of times. What does it mean?

  • could someone with more rep add a "terminology" tag... a "defects" tag would also help. Commented Feb 19, 2010 at 16:01
  • I'm surprised this term isn't in the Homebrew Talk wiki (or any other I know of). Guess I'll make a page over there. Commented Feb 19, 2010 at 19:15

3 Answers 3


According to this page, it's the very end of the boil. Minute 0.


Yep. It's when you shut off the burner (or heat source) on your boil kettle. You "knock-out" the flame.

  • Also called flameout!
    – brewchez
    Commented Feb 24, 2010 at 13:00

Knocking out is when you chill the wort. For example I knocked out to 18˚C so I could pitch my yeast. Flame out is minute 0. For example I added 45g willamette hops at flame out to add aroma.

  • Your answer is not bad, but it brings nothing new. Downvote is not from me, but I kinda understand where it came from.
    – Mołot
    Commented Apr 28, 2016 at 7:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.