I'm a first timer from India and literally nothing for beer home brewing is available locally. I'm having a hard time finding airlock, siphon tube , bottle capper etc. Please bear with me if its a stupid question. I've searched almost every other place
I've brewed for years without starsan.
- Bleach, as mentioned in the above link, is good for fermenters and
bottles. Extra contact time (a few hours if possible) doesn't hurt. Keep away from metals, especially copper. Rinse away with boiled water. High concentrations are still my favorite for dissolving a mold colony in a hurry.
- Boiling: good for small items for 15-30. Some plastics will discolor or distort, but heat always works. Bottle caps might not like being boiled too long.
- Baking: For years my bottle sanitation method was to put rinsed & dried bottles in the oven at ~250F for an hour or so. Never had a problem.
- Alcohol: if you can get cheap vodka or dentaured alcohol, 50-90% does a great job and quickly. May damage some plastics, especially rigid plastic.
- Peroxyacetic acid is becoming more popular for hospital & food sanitation, and may be available in your area. Fast & effective, but may damage metals.