I'm only on my first bug, but the cycle of mine has been: fresh and gingery > ginger and citrusy (there's no citrus in it) > still smelling fresh, but no longer any citrus, with lots of bubbles, and a slight yeasty smell.
The recipe I used was: 2 cups filtered water; 2 tbsp chopped ginger; 2 tbs refined sugar. I wasn't sure if the ginger I was using was organic, even though it was from a mostly organic store. So, I scrubbed it really well, and removed almost all of the skin (98+%). This method takes a little more time, before the bug gets going, but I like that I didn't have to research all of the different yeast suggestions, and second-guess that choice and variable.
On the organic sugar... I've seen in several posts and videos, that to get things started, that the yeast responds best to plain, refined sugar. There were several reasons given for this. The most consistent was the size and availability of the sugar crystal, and that it was the most basic sucrose, but others suggested that with many other raw and organic sugars, that residual molasses may interfere. It seems like it would supply additional food to the bug, but no one gave any sourced, or definite information. Personally, I started with refined, store-brand sugar, and alternated every other day with Zulka pure cane sugar. It's listed as, "an all natural, unrefined and non-GMO pure cane sugar". My result has been fresh, bubbly goodness.