So I brewed a straight forward English style IPA with the following:

O.G. 1.060 F.G. 1.015 (estimated from Beersmith) Current F.G. 1.020

10g Gypsum 11 lbs Maris Otter 1.5 lbs Crystal 30 1 oz Columbus @ 60 min 1 oz East Kent Golding @ 30 min 1 oz Fuggles @ 10 min 2 oz Crystal Dryhop (I haven't added this yet)

1 Package of Burton Ale Yeast (The kind in the vial) 60 min Mash @ 153-154 (Beersmith Recommended 152) Batch Sparge 60 min Boil 5.5 Gal into primary

I didn't use a starter, I just pitched the yeast straight out of the vial. The fermentation didn't start for about 48 hours. Then I found the plug and blowoff tube had completely blown off and there was a large amount of beer sludge caked all over the fermenter and puddled all over the floor. I cleaned up and replaced the blowoff with an airlock. Once it stopped bubbling I measured the gravity over the course of the next few days and it settled on 1.020, a full 5 points high.

My Mash temperature started a touch high at around 155-156, then i threw in some cool water to drop it to 153. Did I just mash it too high and create a heavy body? Should I be concerned with a stalled fermentation? Or should I just go ahead and transfer to secondary for some dry hopping. Thanks!

2 Answers 2


I would give it another week, just to make sure the yeast is done, but I'm going to guess it won't drop down much lower, and will attribute that to:

  • the slightly high mash temp;
  • 10%+ Crystal malt;
  • low initial yeast health from pitching just a vial instead of a starter.
  • How does the crystal have an affect on the drop in gravity?
    – sabrams
    Apr 8, 2015 at 0:06
  • 1
    The lack of a drop … crystal malts contribute unfermentable sugars to the wort.
    – jsled
    Apr 8, 2015 at 13:57

I think it's already fermented.

This is ages and and from memory so I don't Remember the details of SG or anything like that. I once brewed a batch of 80 penny while living in Florida. Pitched the yeast, the next day I was looking for signs of kickoff, but it looked dead. Pitched in more yeast, another day...nothing, in fact you could still see it floating on top where I pitched it.

Turned out it was simply just warm enough for the wurt to ferment completely over a single night. It turned out pretty tasty too as I remember.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.