So my brother in law are in the midst of our 4th batch. Of our first batch ( a 5 gallon brew) probably 2 bottles turned out. These bottles were spectacular great carbonation, retention etc. The others flavors seemed ok but completely and totally flat. I noticed that the bottles that turned out where the smaller 12 ounce size.
3 weeks in fermenter before bottling and then 4 weeks before transferring bottles to refrigeration. We have removed the bottles and slowly warmed for another few weeks and tested again...still flat.
I personally suspect that we may have over primed and that instead of explosions we broke the seals on our caps. While inspecting the caps I noticed on the rubbery seal there is a tiny clear.clean spot along the edge where the rest of the cap is stained. I believe his could have been the point where the seal broke and was allowing gas to escape.
My plan moving forward is to remake the same batch and this time use swing top bottles to see if the results change.
Any insights you can share would be helpful.