I am trying to salvage my one fermenting bottle and wondered if anyone knows how to get the dern top/bail stopper back on the bottle. When I went to open my water kefir it shot liquid everywhere and the top blew completely off. the whole mechanism. I've tried to get it back on but no luck. is it totalled?

  • Is this a swing-top bottle?
    – Scott
    Mar 13 '14 at 16:04
  • Without a picture its hard to tell.
    – brewchez
    Mar 13 '14 at 16:39
  • This question appears to be off-topic because it is about Kefir. Which is a fermented milk product. Not beer or wine.
    – brewchez
    Mar 13 '14 at 16:40
  • 2
    It is water kefir, different from milk kefir. I asked at this site because y'all talk about fermenting. I figured SOMEONE over there has dealt with this kind of bottle, no matter what I'm brewing. Not sure why kefir isn't allowed on this site. Yes, it is a swing top bottle.
    – Alexandra
    Mar 14 '14 at 0:36
  • The contents of what you are brewing are less significant when compared to the actual issue at hand, which is your bottle. As stated earlier, if you can post a couple of pictures of the bottle, we may be able to help you better.
    – Scott
    Mar 16 '14 at 5:06

You can buy replacement closures online or at brewstores (http://store.defalcowines.com/catalog/product_20216_Swingtop_Replacement_Tops_each_cat_289.html).

Given this, you can probably get the wire back in. If you don't want to buy a new one, you may have to bend the old one with pliers to be able to fit (assuming the force of the closure coming off bent the wire).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.