So I am almost done fermenting my first batch of home brew and am about to start kegging it. The only problem is the current hose coming from the regulator is a good bit wider than the nozzle I have on my homebrew keg. Is this something that can be fixed somehow, or should I look to replace one of the nozzels? Does the hose width matter much for delivering the pressure to the keg?

EDIT: connector looks like this:

enter image description here

EDIT: looking back on this question, I notice this picture shows a barb that could be screwed off, mine at the time was not like that, had a particular barb all connected as one piece.

  • what kind of keg connection are you using? – mdma Nov 12 '13 at 21:14

Without knowing 100% what is available near you (saw that you are from the states which seems like a place where you can get almost anything from your local shop) there are hose-adapaters that you can buy, these are how they look in Sweden; Slangadapter.

EDIT: After doing a bit of digging I found that they are typcally called 'Union Reducers' and can be found online; Union Reducer

The width of the hose won't matter too much. Since you are delivering low pressures (1-2 bar) the thickness will not affect the possibility to deliver pressure.

| improve this answer | |
  • I don't see how this will work, unless you also use another piece of smaller hose to connect the reducer to the quick disconnect on the keg. – mdma Nov 13 '13 at 1:12
  • Yes, you would. But since the question was asked to find a solution OR switch the nozzles, this would be one of the other solutions... – Sander Nov 13 '13 at 7:10

It's common to use 1/4" quick disconnect barbs and flange connectors (as shown in your photo) with a 5/8" gas hose. Just be sure to use either a worm clamp or oeteker clamp on the hose to keep it in place on the barb.

Alternatively, you can get 5/8" barbs for the flange connector, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

| improve this answer | |
  • Hmm, OK I'll give it a try. If not I can probably find the part Sander mentioned at a hardware store, I'll see which seems to make the most sense. Thanks for the answer. – Kevin DiTraglia Nov 12 '13 at 22:03

So I finally got it all fixed up. What I ended up using was just replacing the piece connected to the homebrew keg with a different piece I got at a local homebrew shop for a few bucks.

enter image description here

Basically this allowed me to screw on the size of barbed connector I needed.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.