How do you sanitize and prepare a bung for stopping a carboy? While making sure that it will maintain a good seal and not POP off sometime later.
I removed and sterilized my bung and airlock (from a 170 day batch of JAOM) last night (due to a fruit fly infestation of the lock: Q: Fruit Flies in Airlock).
I had a difficult time replacing the bung after sterilizing it with Star San sanitize. My right brain wanted to dry the bung and bung hole with a paper towel while my left brain believed this would lead to possible contamination.
I eventually air-dried the bung in my hand, fearful of contaminating it if I let it rest anywhere. After a few attempts the bung appeared to fit into place. I affixed the airlock and cleaned up. I went to bed 90 minutes later, all appeared fine. However, when I woke this morning I noticed the bung and airlock POPPED off!
This time I just placed the bung into the hole and topped off my airlock. I cannot help but feel that I do not know what I am doing, that I have bought an inferior bung, or that my mead is now on a dooms day count down.