Homebrewing Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for dedicated home brewers and serious enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What do people like in terms of heat resistant measuring cups for batch sparging? I found this one on Amazon. I was wondering if there were other options that were better.

I'm using it for re-circulation of the wort. I also was thinking of using it to add in the hot water for subsequent sparges after fully drained the lauter tun.

share|improve this question
What are you using this measuring cup for? – TMC May 12 '13 at 6:13
I'd guess the measuring cup is for draining wort into for re-circulation. – Jeff Roe May 16 '13 at 1:06

For vorlauf and xferring water, I use a 2 qt. plastic pitcher which you can see below. I also use a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup for pulling gravity and pH samples.

Denny's equipment

share|improve this answer

I just use a regular pyrex glass one. I wouldn't want to use metal, because I sometimes put it in the microwave to bring the mash temp up a bit.

share|improve this answer

I just use a 2 qt rubbermaid pitcher. Seems to do just fine for re-circulation wort.

share|improve this answer

One of my favorite recent purchases was a large heat-tolerant gallon pitcher like this one at Amazon. Marked at 1/8 gallon (1/2 qt) for measuring and useful for vorlaufing, too.

share|improve this answer

HomeBrewFinds is one of my favorite sites for finding equipment like this. They track prices over time. One of the pages is a list of low-cost items to add to your Amazon purchase to get to $25 and qualify for cheap shipping. That page is here and contains several nice options including some aluminum restaurant quality pitchers for under $10.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.