I have a mead that has been sitting bottled in a cool underground closet for about a year, and the corks appear to have some mold growing on the outside. Apparently the closet is a bit more moist than it should be.
I was hoping to age this mead for quite a few years, so swilling it is not the preferred method of dealing with this.
What is a safe way to remove the mold from the corks? Will I need to open and re-cork all of the bottles?
What can I do to prevent this in the future? Will a wax coating help?
I've looked around online a bit, and now I have another question... Is a moldy cork actually bad? Will filaments from the mold eventually dig in to the body of the cork deep enough to reach the mead?