I've had good results, have always done it the same way in recent years, but always question myself when I dry hop.
- Weigh-out my pellet hops
- Scrub my hands with soap an water
- Drop a weight, a muslin bag and a length of dental floss into my pitcher of StarSan
- Put my hands into the pitcher for a minute, then pick up the bag
- Squeeze (hard) on the muslin bag to rid it of most of the StarSan
- Open the damp bag, drop in the weight and hops
- Tie the top of the bag closed with the dental floss
- Pull the plug out of the carboy, drop the bag in (leaving the tail of the dental floss out, so I can retrieve the bag later)
- Put the plug back in the carboy
Of course I do this when most of the sugars are gone already, the alchol level is up, and there's a lot of dissoved CO2. And I don't want to get into bag vs no bag discussion, but otherwise, from a sanitization perspective, are there other, possibly better, techniques? Do some folks not even soak the bag in sanitizer and get away with it?