As an experiment, I brewed a gallon-sized batch last weekend using some wild yeast I had captured. Fermentation looks to have proceeded pretty normally, except that the yeast has a somewhat strange appearance. In particular, it seems to be very gummy. Big chunks of it keep traveling in both directions -- from the sediment at the bottom to the kräusen at the top, and vice versa -- and it's starting to stick to pretty much every part of the glass fermenter.
Is this unusual? Is it a sign of lactobacillus or some other non-yeast activity?
The history behind the yeast: last summer, I used unwashed organic grapes with white flour and water to create a bread starter. I've been keeping the starter alive since then; at first, by feeding it every day, three times a day. More recently, it spends six days out of seven in the refrigerator and gets three feedings on its day out. The starter has a rather floral bouquet and does not taste very sour at all.
I took about two tablespoons of this starter and put it into a DME soup. As I was able to observe the expected yeast activity, I concluded that my "bread yeast" was capable of doing duty as "brewers yeast". When I pitched, I avoided including the original blobs of dough -- though of course, some flour is likely to have dissolved into the larger quantity of liquid.