Homebrewing Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for dedicated home brewers and serious enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am participating in the AHA Big Brew day and the beer we'll be making is their English IPA part of this recipe requires modifying my water to be like Burton on the Trent water.

Calcium (Ca) - 268 ppm
Magnesium (Mg) - 62 ppm
Sodium (Na) - 30 ppm
Sulfate (SO4) - 638 ppm
Chloride (Cl) - 36 ppm
biCarbonate (HCO3) - 141 ppm
pH - 8.33

I've looked up my water (Winnipeg, MB [PDF]) and it has Calcium (Ca) - 21.4 ppm
Magnesium (Mg) - 6 ppm
Sodium (Na) - 2 ppm
Sulfate (SO4) - ??? ppm
Chloride (Cl) - 5? ppm
biCarbonate (HCO3) - ??? ppm
pH - 7.48

I've never done this before, and I sucked at high school chemistry so I'm slightly nervous about modifying my water, but I'd love to start trying it.

So, how do I burtonize my water? What are the required materials? How do I determine how much/little to add? Anything else I should know?

share|improve this question
I have wondered the same thing. Great Q. and great link Denny. – Poshpaws Jun 28 '11 at 15:25
up vote 7 down vote accepted

The easy way is to download Martin Brungard's excellent brewing water software "Bru'n Water" and follow the steps for Burton water in it.

share|improve this answer
Holy cow, that's an awesome find - thanks much. – Herb Mar 28 '11 at 17:56
at first glance that looks incredible. I'll check it out more throughly tonight – Nathan Koop Mar 28 '11 at 20:21
Martin is a professional water engineer and has done work with breweries. The man knows his water. – Denny Conn Mar 30 '11 at 20:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.