Take the 2-minute tour ×
Homebrewing Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for dedicated home brewers and serious enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've been reading the How To Brew book, which is generally good, but the author uses the term "knockout" without definition a couple of times. What does it mean?

share|improve this question
could someone with more rep add a "terminology" tag... a "defects" tag would also help. –  Rich Armstrong Feb 19 '10 at 16:01
I'm surprised this term isn't in the Homebrew Talk wiki (or any other I know of). Guess I'll make a page over there. –  Dean Brundage Feb 19 '10 at 19:15
@rich tag added. Thanks –  hookedonwinter Feb 22 '10 at 16:06

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

According to this page, it's the very end of the boil. Minute 0.

share|improve this answer
Ever feel like you're talking to yourself? ;) –  hookedonwinter Feb 19 '10 at 16:24
It must be true, it's recorded in a wiki: homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Knockout –  Dean Brundage Feb 19 '10 at 19:21

Yep. It's when you shut off the burner (or heat source) on your boil kettle. You "knock-out" the flame.

share|improve this answer
Also called flameout! –  brewchez Feb 24 '10 at 13:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.