I'm lumping bottle-conditioning in with cellaring.
I live in New York and so space is at a premium, but what I'm most concerned about is explosions in the bottle-conditioning process. This is an imperfect solution, but I went with jumbo boxes from the Container Store.
- They each hold about a batch worth of bottles
- They're waterproof, with waterproof lids, so explosions are contained
- They're clear, so you can see if one of your bottles has exploded and clean up
- They're waterproof, so any moisture in there when you place the lid is probably going to contribute to mold or mildew on the outside of the bottles
- They're clear, so you risk light-struck beer if you don't keep them out of direct light.
If I had it to do again, I'd probably go with RubberMaid Brute totes. The 14-gallon size is about the same as the Container Store jumbo boxes, and they're more sturdy for roughly the same price.