Homebrewing Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for dedicated home brewers and serious enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This is a question about gear more than brewing, per se... I'm wondering if a particular component exists...

I'm trying to find a connector suitable for my system that will allow me to disconnect my vessels simply by pulling out the tubing - so the removal of the tube triggers the closure of a valve in the connector. Without going into too much detail, the system I'm considering at the moment will essentially require two inline closing mechanisms for each vessel so I'd rather have one tap and an auto-close connector. If such a thing doesn't exist I might reconsider my approach.

I've seen a garden hose/spray gun connector that does exactly this but it's not really suitable for potable water - when you disconnect the spray gun the water flow stops even when still under pressure.

Any ideas? Cheers!

share|improve this question

Here's McMaster-Carr's selection of quick-disconnect fittings. In the filters on the left, you'll find a filter for "Flow: with shut-off valve".

There are a number of options that are rated for liquid and have an integrated shut-off valve, but I think you'll find them all to be wicked expensive.

share|improve this answer
Quick answer, jsled - thanks! Although I'm in the UK you've given me enough info and keywords to be able to search for similar devices. Funnily enough I've found a manufacturer of food grade hoses and connectors only about 8 miles from my own home :) – Doug Aug 4 '14 at 20:27

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.