Take the 2-minute tour ×
Homebrewing Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for dedicated home brewers and serious enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What concentration of bleach (or Sodium hypochlorite) diluted in water is necessary to sanitize bottles?

How much time is necessary to keep the bottles immersed in the solution, or is sufficient to use a bottle washer that squirts the bleach inside of the bottles (commonly used with 'no-rinse' sanitizers like Star San, alcohol, etc)?

How much time is necessary to wait until the bottles can be used (filled) when not rinsed?

share|improve this question
1  
Regarding your last question, are you implying that you will not be rinsing the bleach out, or that you are using no-rinse sanitizer? If the former, that's a really bad idea. The latter: 30 second contact time for Star-San. –  Scott Mar 7 at 19:07
    
I'm asking for many things: In general, how many time is necessary to keep bottles immersed in a bleach solution, and is enough just to splash their internal surface with a bleach solution without rinse them ? How many time to wait in booth cases (if applied) before the bottles can be used (filled with beer) ? –  Luciano Mar 7 at 19:28
    
@Scott: Just knowing that Chlorine evaporates, but not knowing how many time it takes to evaporate (almost completely), I thought about no rinsing bottles sanitized with bleach solutions. –  Luciano Mar 7 at 19:33

4 Answers 4

How to Brew by John Palmer recommends soaking equipment for 20 minutes, and says that rinsing isn't absolutely necessary for the recommended concentration. The concentration he mentions is 1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water (4 ml per liter).

I avoid bleach. I'm too worried about it introducing off flavors if it's not completely gone, and would only use it as a last resort.

share|improve this answer
    
Tnx. But what about timings ? How many time to wait the bottles dry before to use them (when no rinsed) ? –  Luciano Mar 7 at 20:01
1  
I think once the bottle looks dry, you'd be good. With such a low concentration of bleach, it should be gone with the water. Adding heat would speed up the drying process. –  a_hardin Mar 7 at 20:07

I used to use bleach when i first started and would always rinse. I would soak the bottles for a couple hours thn rinse and let dry on a tree. I never had problems but decided that starsan or iodine no rinse solutions were easier and faster.

share|improve this answer

If rinse water is at a premium, you could spray a shot of sulphite solution in each bottle. This will release a burst of sulphite gas, and since the sulphite is slightly acidic (or acts as an acid; I'm not a chemist), it also neutralizes the (alkaline) bleach solution, making it easier to rinse out. I've used this method lots of times in the past with good results.

Try handling bleach solution some time, then shpritzing a bit of sulphite on your hands. You'll find it instantly gets rid of that unpleasant soapy feel. As a bonus, you get a roaring snootful of sulphite to clear out your sinuses.

share|improve this answer
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Crossing all information I take from you all, Palmer, Papazien, and sparse in internet, I tried 2 solutions being there very adherent to what is explained in the Papazien's book:

First of all, it cannot be used in metals (aluminium neither in stainless steal), and the home bleach need to have about 5% of Chlorine. I use it only in glass, plastic, hoses, ...

1) DEEP CLEANING: Use about 60ml of bleach in 20L of water (2 oz in 5 gallons). Immerse all objects to be cleaned and leave it there for 1 night (8 to 12 hours), of course you need to remove coarse dirt, before immersion. After the elapsed time, rinse them and they are ready to be used.

2) SANITIZE: Use about 5 to 10 ml (I prefer 10) in 20L of water (0.15 to 0.30 oz in 5 gallons). Immerse all objects (already cleaned) to be sanitized for about 30 min to 1 hour. As I use 10ml I always rinse them. But if I can leave them to dry for 1 night, I don't rinse (like bottles, and none off-flavors until now).

Oops! I need to say that I rinse using mineral water without chlorine.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.