Homebrewing Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for dedicated home brewers and serious enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm needing hoses to run to and from my barbed ball-lock quick disconnect on my cornelius keg.

  • Which diameter should I be getting?
  • Do I need reinforced hoses?


  • 1/4" (6mm) Inner Diameter.
  • 3/16" (5mm) Inner Diameter, with boiling water to soften and stretch.
  • Reinforced is not required.
share|improve this question
For dispensing, 3/16 is preferred for short runs, as it has higher internal resistance. That is, you can use a shorter line and achieve the same drop in pressure as a longer length of 1/4 line would provide. – Tobias Patton Jan 9 '14 at 15:19
Ah, this has some important balance between serving pressure of the beer vs carbonation correct? Can you help me find a suitable Q&A to link with ? – Another Compiler Error Jan 9 '14 at 16:11
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I believe it is 1/4 Inch (6mm) Inside Diameter pipe, but you should also be able to force a flexible 3/16 (5mm) ID pipe over it.

There is no need for reinforced hose if you are using proper beer and gas line.

share|improve this answer
I guess some boiling water to stretch out the 3/16. – Another Compiler Error Jan 9 '14 at 14:05

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.