I have a cider that I have made following the steps on CraigTube for his Hard Apple Cider. The only difference is that I have used Champagne yeast and the batch is 22L. I know you are all going to say to check my hydrometer reading but unfortunately I smashed the hydrometer before I could take the initial reading. The airlock still has activity and is still bubbling after 18 days. It is bubbling strongly every 13 seconds. How will I know when it is done. Should I wait until the airlock has no activity at all?
21L Juice (7bottles)
Yeast Nutrient (Boil up raisins (that don’t have sulphite on them) and small amount of water, mash up the raisins and simmer)
10- 14Cup’s corn sugar or dextrose (the more sugar the more kick it will have)
1 Lalvin EC1118 Yeast
- Boil up yeast nutrient and mash up raisins
- Take out a little juice from the bottle and add sugar.
- Shake out the sugar(even do this for the fermenter batch as it saves time and stiring)
- Put in the yeast nutrient(make sure that it isn’t still too hot) and shake the bottle
- Add the yeast and shake the bottle a. If you are making a fermenter size batch then pour it all in the fermenter
- Leave that until the fermenter has stopped bubbling and leave for a few days.
Ok I have done a small scale test. I have had 1.5L of juice and 1cup sugar(200grams) The reading was 1.092. This test does not include the boiled up rasins.
Ok so another reading has been taken. This is 1.000